Kyusu/Tea Pot (Sand White)
"Shiboridashi Kyusu," which has been used in Japan since ancient times, is a brewing method that squeezes the umami of tea leaves from the hole (grooves) carved in the opening of the teapot without using a tea strainer. Commonly said, tea shouldn't leak from the lid of the teapot, but this teapot was born from the reversed idea of making a hole on the lid. The teapot body and lid have fine holes, making it suitable for brewing old-fashioned, coarsely strained tea.
One of the good points is that the tea strainer can be washed directly on both the back and front.
"Sand White" is made by engobe to the ground with white soil, applying a transparent glaze and firing.
"Sand Black" is made of clay that is argillaceous and does not absorb water. The inside is coated with vitreous glaze and is a pale gray color.
Both are made from original pottery clay that has been blended for teapots over 50 years ago.
Nankei Pottery Studio has been making Banko yaki for over 50 years in Yokkaichi, Mie Prefecture. A rare pottery that started as a “Tsuchiya” that digs soil and sells it after elutriation.
- Product number: K010
- Size: W185/D152/H85 (mm) (300cc)
- Material: Stoneware
- Microwave Oven: ×
- Open fire: ×
- Dishwasher: ×
- Rinse the used tea leaves with water or hot water, drain well and dry. Occasionally it is more hygienic to dry in the sun light.
- If you're worried about tea stain, soak it overnight in diluted tableware oxygen bleach to clean it. Rinse thoroughly to avoid leaving an odor and dry thoroughly.
- Please use a neutral detergent for cleaning. Do not use sponges with abrasives, metal scrubbers, cleansers, etc. There is a risk of damaging the vessel.
- As the raw material is porcelain clay containing iron powder, black spots may appear on the surface, but please enjoy it as a texture of the product.
- This product uses the texture of the soil as it is. Easy to get oil stains, but you can get off the stains by rubbing with scrubbing brush and neutral detergent.
- You can keep it in the refrigerator/freezer, but sudden temperature changes may cause damage. Please handle with care.