Kyusu/Tea Pot (Sand Black)
"Shiboridashi Kyusu," which has been used in Japan since ancient times, is a brewing method that squeezes the umami of tea leaves from the hole (grooves) carved in the opening of the teapot without using a tea strainer. Commonly said, tea shouldn't leak from the lid of the teapot, but this teapot was born from the reversed idea of making a hole on the lid. The teapot body and lid have fine holes, making it suitable for brewing old-fashioned, coarsely strained tea.
One of the good points is that the tea strainer can be washed directly on both the back and front.
"Sand White" is made by engobe to the ground with white soil, applying a transparent glaze and firing.
"Sand Black" is made of clay that is argillaceous and does not absorb water. The inside is coated with vitreous glaze and is a pale gray color.
Both are made from original pottery clay that has been blended for teapots over 50 years ago.
- Product number: K011
- Size: W185/D152/H85 (mm) (300cc)
- Material: Stoneware
- Microwave Oven: ×
- Open fire: ×
- Dishwasher: ×
- Rinse the used tea leaves with water or hot water, drain well and dry. Occasionally it is more hygienic to dry in the sun light.
- If you're worried about tea stain, soak it overnight in diluted tableware oxygen bleach to clean it. Rinse thoroughly to avoid leaving an odor and dry thoroughly.
- Please use a neutral detergent for cleaning. Do not use sponges with abrasives, metal scrubbers, cleansers, etc. There is a risk of damaging the vessel.
- As the raw material is porcelain clay containing iron powder, black spots may appear on the surface, but please enjoy it as a texture of the product.
- This product uses the texture of the soil as it is. Easy to get oil stains, but you can get off the stains by rubbing with scrubbing brush and neutral detergent.
- You can keep it in the refrigerator/freezer, but sudden temperature changes may cause damage. Please handle with care.
Shipping in Japan
- We will send your order by Japan Post or Sagawa Express.
- We deliver tea at a flat rate of 250 yen (free shipping for orders over 3,000 yen) and other items at a flat rate of 650 yen (free shipping for orders over 12,000 yen).
- Items that fall under the post delivery size (such as tea) will be delivered directly to your mailbox.
※Please see this link for international shipping information.
Nankei Pottery is a manufacturer of Banko ware located in Yokkaichi City, Mie Prefecture. Their pottery, which started out as a "clay maker" who sells clay used for making pottery, is characterized by its unique matte color and soft texture.
Tools that have the best of both "arts" and "products" are a perfect combination of design and ease of use.
One of the attractions of their pottery is the carefully designed details that make you want to display them in your room, and as you use it daily, you will feel the comfort of using it, and it will gently fit in your life.